The NY strip steak, also known as the New York strip, is a beloved cut of beef celebrated for its tender texture and rich flavor. While grilling is a popular cooking method for this steak, the oven can produce equally mouthwatering results.
In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to cook a delectable NY strip steak in the oven, allowing you to savor its juicy perfection without needing a grill.
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven?
Here’s a summarized guide on how to cook NY strip steak in oven:
- Step 1: Allow the steaks to reach room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Set the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Step 3: Coat both sides of the steak with olive oil; season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Step 4: Roast for about 10-12 minutes per side for medium-rare, aiming for 130-135°F (54-57°C).
- Step 5: Tent the steaks with foil for 5-10 minutes; Slice against the grain and enjoy!
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven Without Searing?
Here is the way to cook New York strip for achieving a perfectly tender and flavorful NY strip steak in the oven, no searing required.
Step 1: Prepare the steaks
- Allow the steaks to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Use paper towels to pat them dry.
Step 2: Preheat the oven
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Step 3: Season the steaks
- Brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil.
- Season generously with salt, pepper, and any preferred seasonings.
Step 4: Use an oven-safe rack
- Place the seasoned steaks on an oven-safe wire rack set on a baking sheet. Elevating them ensures even cooking.
Step 5: Roasting
- Roast the steaks in the preheated oven for approximately 10-12 minutes per side to achieve medium-rare doneness (aim for an internal temperature of 130-135°F or 54-57°C).
Step 6: Rest and slice
- Once out of the oven, loosely cover the steaks with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Slice the NY strip steaks against the grain for maximum tenderness.
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven After Searing?
Here is a step-by-step instructions on how to cook New York strip steak in the oven after searing:
Step 1: Preheat your oven
- To kickstart this culinary adventure, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). It’s essential to have the oven ready to roll.
Step 2: Sear the steaks to perfection
- Begin by heating an oven-safe skillet or cast-iron pan on the stovetop over high heat.
- Add a generous splash of olive oil, which not only prevents sticking but also aids in achieving that coveted sear.
- Gently place the seasoned NY strip steaks into the hot pan.
- Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until a mouthwatering crust forms. The sizzling sound and aroma will tantalize your senses.
Step 3: Oven-bound steaks
- Once your steaks boast that beautiful sear, it’s time for their oven adventure. Carefully move the sizzling skillet from the stovetop to the preheated oven.
Step 4: Roast
- Roast the steaks for approximately 10-12 minutes per side to achieve medium-rare perfection.
- For an ideal medium-rare steak, aim for an internal temperature of 130-135°F (54-57°C). However, adjust the timing based on your desired level of doneness.
Step 5: Rest and serve
- As your NY strip steaks emerge from the oven, they’re brimming with juices and flavors. Don’t rush to carve into them just yet.
- Instead, cover these masterpieces loosely with aluminum foil and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. This crucial step allows the juices to redistribute throughout the steak, resulting in a perfectly juicy and flavorful slice.
- When you’re ready, carve your NY strip steaks against the grain. This technique guarantees tenderness and optimal flavor in every bite.
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven Cast Iron Skillet?
Cooking New York in an oven cast iron skillet is straightforward and time-saving. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Preheat your oven
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Consistent heat is key to a perfect steak.
Step 2: Season your steaks
- Generously season both sides of your NY strip steaks with salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings you prefer.
Step 3: Preheat the cast iron skillet
- Place your cast iron skillet on the stovetop and reduce the heat. You want the skillet to become blazing hot to achieve a superb sear.
Step 4: Sear the steaks
- Add olive oil to the searing hot skillet and gently place your seasoned NY strip steaks.
- Allow the steaks to sear for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. This high-heat searing process forms the mouthwatering crust on the exterior of the steaks.
Step 5: Oven-bound steaks
- Once your steaks are beautifully seared, carefully transfer the entire cast iron skillet from the stovetop to the preheated oven.
Step 6: Roast to perfection
- Roast the steaks in the oven for 10-12 minutes per side, aiming for a succulent medium-rare. The goal is an internal temperature of 130-135°F (54-57°C). Adjust the roasting time as per your preferred level of doneness.
Step 7: Rest the steak
- After emerging from the oven, your NY strip steaks are at the peak of their flavor. However, patience is key.
- Lightly cover the steaks with aluminum foil and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. This resting period ensures that the juices are evenly distributed throughout the steak, guaranteeing juiciness and flavor.
Step 8: Slice and serve
- Finally, when the steaks have rested sufficiently, carve them against the grain. This slicing technique enhances tenderness and flavor, ensuring every bite is a culinary masterpiece.
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven Without Cast Iron Skillet?
Cooking New York strip steak in an oven without a cast iron skillet is quite similar to cooking this steak with a skillet. Here’s a detailed instructions:
Step 1: Preheat your oven
Step 2: Season your steaks
Step 3: Heat an oven-safe baking dish
- Select an oven-safe baking dish or sheet pan large enough to comfortably accommodate both steaks.
- Drizzle olive oil into the dish and evenly spread it across the bottom. This will help prevent sticking and promote a delightful sear.
Step 4: Preheat your dish
- Place the empty baking dish or sheet pan into the oven for a few minutes. This ensures the cookware is hot when you add your steaks, enhancing the searing process.
Step 5: Sear the steaks
Step 6: Transition to the oven
- After the initial searing, return the baking dish with the steaks to the oven.
Step 7: Roast to perfection
Step 8: Rest and relish
Step 9: Slice and serve
How To Cook NY Strip Steak In Oven For Different Levels Of Doneness?
How to cook NY strip steak in oven for medium rare?
Here is a step-by-step New York strip steak recipe in the oven for medium-rare:
- After preheating your oven and preparing your steak, you must choose an oven-safe skillet or pan that’s large enough to comfortably accommodate your steak.
- Place the skillet or pan in the oven for a few minutes to ensure it’s hot when you add your steak. This initial heat will aid in searing.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and place it on the stovetop over high heat. Add your seasoned NY strip steak to the pan and sear it for 2-3 minutes on each side. This initial searing creates a flavorful crust.
- After searing, place the pan with the steak in the preheated oven.
- Roast the steak for approximately 6-7 minutes per side. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. For medium-rare, aim for an internal temperature of about 130-135°F (54-57°C).
How to cook NY strip steak in oven for medium?
Cooking a NY strip steak to medium doneness in the oven is delightful. Follow these steps for a perfectly medium NY strip steak:
- Prepare the steak: let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat and sear: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). In an oven-safe skillet, heat oil over high heat. Sear the steak for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Oven roast: Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Use a meat thermometer and roast until the steak reaches 140-145°F (60-63°C) for medium doneness.
How to cook NY strip steak in oven for well done?
To cook a NY strip steak well done in the oven, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sear the steak for 2-3 minutes per side in an oven-safe skillet over high heat.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven.
- Roast until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) for a perfect, well-done finish.
- The total oven cooking time can range from 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the steak’s thickness and your desired level of doneness.
Tips And Tricks For Cooking NY Strip Steak In Oven
Mastering cooking a NY strip steak in the oven can create an exquisite dining experience. By employing expert techniques and valuable tips, you can create a succulent, flavorful steak that rivals those served in high-end restaurants.
Here are several tips and tricks for cooking New York strip steak in the oven:
- Choose a premium NY strip steak: Your steak’s quality is paramount. Select a NY strip steak with rich marbling and a vibrant pinkish-red hue. Opt for a thickness of approximately 1.5 inches to ensure optimal results.
- Seasoning savvy: Don’t skimp on seasoning. Generously coat both sides of your steak with salt and pepper. Feel free to add extra depth of flavor with seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, or your preferred steak rub.
- Temperature harmony: Allow your steak to reach room temperature by letting it rest for around 30 minutes before cooking. This ensures that your steak cooks evenly from edge to center.
- Precise oven preheating: Preheat your oven to a precise 400°F (200°C) while selecting an oven-safe skillet or pan. A cast-iron skillet’s excellent heat retention and distribution capabilities make it an ideal choice.
- Seize the sear: To elevate the flavor and texture of your steak, initiate the cooking process with a hearty sear. Heat your skillet over high heat and add a small amount of oil. Sear the steak for 2-3 minutes per side until it acquires a luscious caramelized crust.
- The importance of a meat thermometer: For precise results, employ a meat thermometer to monitor your steak’s internal temperature. Aim for 130-135°F (54-57°C) for medium-rare, or adjust to your preferred doneness.
Can you put a New York strip in the oven?
Yes, you can cook a New York strip steak in the oven. It’s a convenient and effective method for achieving your desired level of doneness.
How long do you cook NY strip steak in the oven?
Here’s a general guideline for cooking a New York strip steak in the oven at 400°F (200°C):
Rare: For a 1-inch thick steak, cook for 10-12 minutes per side.
Medium-rare: For a 1-inch thick steak, cook for 12-14 minutes per side.
Medium: For a 1-inch thick steak, cook for 14-16 minutes per side.
Medium-well: For a 1-inch thick steak, cook for about 16-18 minutes per side.
How do you cook a NY strip steak temperature?
To achieve your desired level of doneness, follow these temperature guidelines: 125°F for rare, 135°F for medium-rare, 145°F for medium, 155°F for medium-well, and 160°F for well-done. Once cooked, rest the steaks on a dollop of prepared compound butter, allowing them to absorb the flavorful goodness before serving.
- Wikipedia – Strip steak – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak
Welcome to Edith’s French Bistro, an enchanting, high-end French culinary haven located in Plano, Richardson and Allen. Setting itself apart, this restaurant boasts a wide array of artisanal desserts, custom-crafted cakes, a blend of sweet and savory crepes, and an elegant high tea service. Furthermore, it serves invigorating beverages, delicious lunch and dinner main courses, and a delectable weekend brunch. To top it off, they also offer breakfast options throughout the day.
To augment your culinary experience, we’ve introduced a blog – a rich repository of culinary wisdom designed to inspire and guide individuals on their cooking journey. It’s a treasure trove of knowledge spanning from the basics of cooking to more complex and advanced techniques. Whether you are a novice just beginning to explore the culinary landscape or an accomplished chef seeking new inspiration, you’ll discover practical, beneficial advice that aligns with your culinary aspirations.